An up-to-date archive related to Utah's Government Records Access and Management Act
Members of the Utah Media Coalition will rank upcoming legislation or legislative action on openness and accessibility and tell lawmakers and the public about those rankings. The following bills are those the coalition believes will affect the public's access to information in some way.
Law Enforcement Use of Body Cameras
This bill addresses the use of body-warn cameras by police officers. The bill does not have language that directs governments to consider the public interest when weighing whether to keep the resulting videos private. It also classifies as private al...
0 notes 0 articles read more
Body-Worn Cameras for Law Enforcement Officers
This bill addresses the use of body-worn cameras by police officers. The bill makes it clear that governments must consider the public interest in weighing whether to make videos from the cameras private. The bill also has privacy protections, includ...
0 notes 0 articles read more
The Government Records Access and Management Act [GRAMA] is a broad-ranging Utah law dealing with the management of government records. First adopted in 1991 and revised several times, GRAMA is intended to balance the public's constitutional right to access information, individual privacy rights, and government's interest in restricting access to some records for the public good.
- Utah Office of the Attorney General
- Utah State Senate
- Utah House of Representatives
- Records Request Sample Form
House Bill 477 [HB477] was a controversial 75-page bill altering GRAMA that was passed quickly and with overwhelming House and Senate support during the 2011 session of the Utah Legislature. It was subsequently repealed during a special legislative session, in the face of public outcry. Legislative history of HB477.
Other Public Records Resources:
- Guest opinion: Utah lawmakers should reject bill to hide police names - Daily Herald
- Water officials face GRAMA hearing over state water use numbers - St George News
- Amazon-Utah Tax Agreement Must Be Made Public - Bloomberg BNA
- Herald Editorial: Let it shine - Daily Herald
- During a crisis, Utah law enforcement needs transparency, not secrecy - Standard-Examiner
- Utah records panel orders release of water data - Salt Lake Tribune
- Gov Herbert will sign controversial DUI bill, then call special session this summer - Utah Policy
- Sunshine Week: How to submit an open-record GRAMA request - Standard-Examiner
- Duchesne County Sheriff releases statement after news report on jail deaths - Good4Utah
- ACLU of Utah statement on proposed Salt Lake City body camera policy - Utah Policy
- Follow #GRAMA on Twitter
- Follow @RobertGehrke on Twitter
- Follow @utahpress on Twitter
- Follow @sltrib on Twitter
- Follow @joelcampbell on Twitter
- Follow @utahsenate on Twitter
- Follow @UtahReps on Twitter
- Follow @utahpolitics on Twitter
- Follow @UtahSPJ on Twitter
- Follow @UtahsRight on Twitter
- Utah Citizens FOI Network - Save Utah's Right to Know on Facebook